Here’s a simple way to get ready for the Lord’s Day this weekend. Walk through this exercise, and encourage your church folks to do the same.
STEP ONE: Ask God to help you focus on one or more non-believers. See them. Think about them. Slow life down long enough to think about eternity for you and for others. For me, I think of my mother, who is not yet a follower of Christ.
STEP TWO: Hear the Word of God about non-believers – a Word that clearly describes judgment and separation. Let the burden of lostness become real to you.
- John 3:18 Anyone who believes in Him is not condemned, but anyone who does not believe is already condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the One and Only Son of God.
- Romans 6:23a For the wages of sin is death . . .
- Revelation 20:15 And anyone not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.
STEP THREE: Hear the Word of God about His grace – a Word that uses multiple images to describe God’s forgiveness. Live in the joy of grace for a few minutes.
- Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.
- Isaiah 1:18 “Though your sins are like scarlet, they will be as white as snow; though they are as red as crimson, they will be like wool.”
- Jeremiah 31:34 “For I will forgive their wrongdoing and never again remember their sin.”
- Micah 7:19 He will again have compassion on us; He will vanquish our iniquities. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.
- Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been declared righteous by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
STEP FOUR: Pray that the Holy Spirit will move in the life of the person for whom you are burdened. Implore God to draw this person to Himself.
- John 16:8-10 When He [the Holy Spirit] comes, He will convict the world about sin, righteousness, and judgment: About sin, because they do not believe in Me; about righteousness, because I am going to the Father and you will no longer see Me; and about judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.
- 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
STEP FIVE: Do something in response to God’s Word. Call your family member or friend, and let him/her know you’re praying. Invite him/her to church with you this weekend. Send an email that includes your testimony. Pray that the gospel will be proclaimed clearly this Sunday at your church.
And while you’re at it, would you pray for my mother as well?