How to Evaluate Your Church’s Worship Service

Too often, we spend little time evaluating our worship service. We may critique on the basis of attendance, but seldom do we review it with intentionality. This weekend, use these questions to evaluate your church’s worship service:

1. Do I want to know God more as a result of attending the service? This question is a fundamental one. It’s possible that a worship service directs our attention to the preacher, the praise team, the building, the church’s activities, etc. – but not truly to God. Genuine worship should lead me to kneel before God in awe and wonder, longing to know Him more while also recognizing His holiness.
  2. If I know only the lyrics of the songs sung, would I know the gospel? Strong biblical praise can also be a great witness, as long as the lyrics lay out the gospel. Evaluate to see if this weekend’s lyrics talk more about God or about the worshipper.
  3. How much would I know about Jesus at the end of the service? The story of the early church is centered around Jesus. They talked about Him, preached about Him, and lived for Him. If your service doesn’t direct people to Jesus, something is misdirected.
  4. Do I know more of the Word of God as a result of attending the service? Sometimes the Word of God is undeniably central to a service. At other times, it’s simply an “evangelical launching pad,” meaning it’s only a perfunctory part of a service because evangelicals know we must at least refer to it. Which description best fits your church?
  5. Would I know how my life should change after hearing the sermon? This question is the application one. Worship ought to lead to action; that is, the singing and preaching of the Word should clearly show me how to adjust my life to what God wants. If I must on my own figure out the application, I’m less likely to do so.
  6. Does the church glorify God by expecting excellence in all things? The worship service provides multiple opportunities to display God’s glory through our excellence (e.g., musical performance, sermon preparation, service clarity and direction). The church that settles for second best is saying something about their respect for God.
  7. Would I likely want to come back to the church because God’s presence is real there? Evaluate your list of guests who have attended in the last six months, and see how many returned for 2nd and 3rd+ times. If no one ever returns, that finding tells you something. I would at least wonder how strongly folks feel like they meet with God when worshiping with your congregation.

What other questions would you add to this list?

• Edward Thal says:

Excellent summary! I would like to use a shortened version in our Sunday bulletin, with your permission.

• Lou says:

Unfortunately, today many Christians are not looking for what is best for them.Many mega churches have ruined them and now they go around looking for all their felt needs to be met. They have a hard time with a simple church and true Gospel preaching. They are wanting their “style” of music to be played and want to get a buzz.

Thanks, Lou. I’m not sure megachurches are always the cause, but your point about felt needs is fair.

• Lou says:

I guess it would be fair to say instead of “mega churches”, churches with resources. Those who have the money to buy the climbing wall for the youth group, the smoke and bubble machine and light show for worship; The paid professional musicians, the decor that appeals to the senses, the look of success that appeals to our soulish nature. All these things are a real factor in attracting many a Christian to these types of churches instead of what is most important. Trust me, we are in the land of many of these churches all around us and are struggling to survive as a simple church with little resources and few people but powerful Gospel preaching. Those who come to us, come for the preaching/teaching and are tired of all the bells and whistles with no substance. I liken it to junk food. When the Church continues to nurture Christians on junk food, those Christians no longer recognize real food, They are not aware of their sick condition. They do not know any different. They end up craving more of the same junk food they eat instead of real food that will help them grow. It grieves my heart to see this sad condition all around me. And the result is a shocking lack of holiness.

Thanks for the clarification, Lou. Appreciate it!

• Andrea says:

today we sang “Who Am I?” and the lyric, “not because of who I am but because of who You are” has stayed with me all day. Also the fruit of the Spirit, patience (paired with courage) was our sermon topic.

• Noah says:

Is their a worship service order that would be suggested that lessens distractions and glorifies God richly?