As Christians, we are called to share the gospel with the world (Matt. 28:18-20). Studies show us, though, that most Christians seldom if ever share their faith with a non-believer. If evangelism is a struggle for you, think about these ways to deepen your burden over non-believers:
- Study what the Bible says about lost people. They’re following the “prince of the air” (Eph. 2:1-3), living in darkness in Satan’s domain (Acts 26:18, Col. 1:13), blinded by Satan (2 Cor. 4:3-4), and caught in his trap (2 Tim. 2:25-26). They’re helpless apart from God’s grace, no matter how good they may seem to be.
- Do a Bible study on eternal judgment. Meditate on texts like Matthew 25:41-46, Luke 16:19-31, and Revelation 20:11-15. See and sense the separation and the anguish. If you can study the reality of hell and not be more burdened about non-believers, I’d question your Christianity.
- Think about these facts of life and death. Today, approximately 150,000 will die around the world, most of whom will not be followers of Christ. Some of us have family members who, if they were to be among that number today, would be destined for hell. These realities ought to bring us to tears.
- Learn about the spiritual tragedies of the world. Today, people in some parts of India are praying to ancestral spirits and turning to wild animals for guidance. Some in China are worshiping trees, mountains, dragons, and rivers. In Africa, men carry their personal gods with them for protection, as if that which is carried is stronger than the one doing the carrying. In Southeast Asia, people sacrifice to pagan gods to bring healing to the sick. In some parts of Russia, sorcerers who cast spells are the center of spiritual power. Go to www.joshuaproject.net, study more about people groups of the world, and grieve these false attempts to find security and life.
- Be grateful for God’s grace in your life. Jesus told us that the way to life is narrow, and few people find it (Matt. 7:13-14). Were it not for God’s amazing grace, you and I would also be among the many who never find eternal life. Recognizing God’s favor in your life should compel you to tell others about Him.
- Consider what it’s like to face life without Christ. That might be hard if you’re a Christian, but think about tough things people face. Job loss. Natural disaster. Terminal illness. Marital breakup. Incarcerated children. Unexpected death. I honestly don’t know how people get through life without trusting Christ.
- Ask God to give you His heart for lost people. Confess your lack of concern to Him, and ask Him to change you. Meanwhile, enlist two believers to pray Ephesians 6:18-20 and Colossians 4:2-4 for you. Ask God to give you His heart while others are praying for you to speak the gospel boldly and clearly – and see what God does!
Let us know how we can pray for you.