You’ve probably set some goals for this new year, and I assume that some are related to your spiritual walk. Whatever your goals are, I encourage you to think about adding these goals to your list as well. They may surprise you, but they reflect challenges I’ve seen too many believers face.
- I will never make my spouse or children feel like they have to schedule an appointment to get time with me. They notice it when everyone else gets our time.
- I will speak to someone every day about God’s goodness. Someone. Every day. If we get there, we’ll also do more evangelism.
- I will take every step necessary to avoid pornography. The stuff’s potent. And destructive. To think we’re immune to its lure is to be foolish.
- I will read or listen to the news every day. I’m amazed by how ill-informed church leaders are about the world God loves. We miss prayer and missions opportunities when we know nothing except our own little world.
- I will say “thank you” to a faithful church member at least once a week. Write a card. Send an email. Make a phone call. Most of our churches have many faithful, sacrificial members who never get a thank you.
- I will fast once a month. I realize believers differ on the necessity of fasting, but Jesus seemed to assume His followers would fast (Matt. 6). This won’t happen unless we prioritize and schedule it.
- I will finish that project I’ve been working on far too long. You know what that project is. If you believe God has wanted you to do it, get it done.
- I will read at least one book per month. One book may not sound like much, but it’s more than many church leaders read. Enlist a reading partner, and keep learning as you lead others.
- I will always be praying for at least (a) one non-believer, (b) one wayward believer, and (c) one faithful believer. Pray with intentionality this year.
- I will view my physical well-being as a spiritual matter and a gospel witness. For many of us, that means we will exercise more, eat better, and get more rest.
How might we pray for you as you adopt goals for 2018?