READING: Exodus 25-28
“You must make it according to all that I show you.”
I confess that sometimes it’s easy to “water down” God’s expectations and grant ourselves permission to cross lines of sin. I’ve heard folks say (and, to be honest, I’ve probably said at some point) things like, “It’s not that big a deal,” “Maybe I’ve been too legalistic,” and “I’m not as convicted as I used to be, so perhaps I misunderstood God’s leading.” Most of us, I suspect, default into spiritual laziness more than spiritual obedience.
Then, however, I read how seriously God demanded His people to follow His plans exactly when building the tabernacle. He expected them to show their commitment to Him by their absolute obedience. In fact, it’s hard to read the construction details He gave without also hearing His demands:
- “They are to make a sanctuary for me so that I may dwell among them. You must make it according to all that I show you—the pattern of the tabernacle as well as the pattern of all its furnishings” (Exo. 25:8-9).
- “Be careful to make them [lampstands] according to the pattern you have been shown on the mountain” (Exo. 25:40).
- “You are to set up the tabernacle according to the plan for it that you have been shown on the mountain” (Exo. 26:30).
- “Construct the altar with boards so that it is hollow. They are to make it just as it was shown to you on the mountain” (Exo. 27:8).
I’m reminded that God is God, and He has the right to demand whatever He wishes from us. And, we have no option but to follow Him without exception. Our compromises simply aren’t acceptable.
- Prayerfully determine if you are compromising in any area of your life. If you are, confess and repent.
- Commit yourself to absolute obedience.
PRAYER: “God, show me any place where I’m compromising. Forgive me.”
TOMORROW’S READING: Review of Exodus 5-28