Sometimes it just feels like Satan’s winning the game. No matter how hard we want to believe otherwise, our heart and our mind struggle because of our apparent circumstances. If that’s the way you feel today, keep these truths in mind:
- Satan’s not winning – he’s been cast down. I realize there’s debate about Ezekiel 28 and the fall of Satan, but the text does speak about someone “blameless” who was “expelled in disgrace from the mountain of God” and thrown “down to the earth” (vv. 16-17).
- He’s not winning – God judged him in the Garden. He would crawl on his belly and eat dust because God ruled over him. He would ultimately lose because God would crush his head (Gen. 3:14-15).
- He’s not winning – he knows God has placed hedges where He wants them. Satan wanted to destroy Job, but he also knew that God had placed a protective hedge about that upright man (Job 1:10).
- He’s not winning – he’s a silenced accuser when God steps in. Satan stood ready to accuse Joshua the high priest (whose filthy garments indicated his guilt), but God quieted him before he ever said a word (Zech. 3:1-7).
- He’s not winning – Jesus announced His victory at the Mount of Temptation (Matt. 4:1-11). Jesus had no intention of bowing down to the enemy. He had come to defeat him, and Genesis 3:15 was about to be fulfilled.
- He’s not winning – Jesus disarmed the powers through His cross (Col. 2:15). He has triumphed over them.
- He’s not winning – God uses him to accomplish His plan. So we see with Paul’s thorn in the flesh (2 Cor. 12:7-10). It was a messenger of Satan, but God not only allowed it, He also refused to remove it because He intended to keep Paul humble.
- He’s not winning – he is headed for eternal judgment. John gives us that word in Revelation 20:10 – “The devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet are, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever."
It might seem today like Satan’s winning in your life or your church, but run to the God who’s already crushed him. Let us know how we might pray for you.