I make no claim here to be the best follower of Christ in the world. I have so much room for growth that it alarms me sometimes. Nevertheless, I’m giving you my life verses in hopes that you, too, will have verses that drive you forward.
- Acts 19:15 – “But the evil spirit answered them, ‘Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?’” The demon who spoke these words simply wasn’t threatened by the exorcists who had taken him on. My prayer is that I would walk with God in such a way that the enemy would know me by name.
- Revelation 7:9 – “After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb . . . .” God is going to accomplish His plan, and we get to be a part of it. I hope I never fail to be amazed by this privilege.
- Luke 16:24 – “And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’” Knowing the reality of hell reminds me that my telling the story of Jesus matters.
- 1 Corinthians 11:1 – “Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.” My wife, my mentees, and others are watching me. I don’t want to disappoint them by letting them see anything less than Christ.
- Ephesians 5:25 – “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her . . . .” How I love my wife ought to be a unique witness to the gospel.
- Revelation 4:10 – “The twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne . . . .” I want to live in such a way that I will have crowns – but not for me. It’s important to me to have something to give back to my Redeemer.
- 2 Corinthians 12:10 – “For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” It’s a straightforward teaching of the Word of God: I am strongest when I’m weak. So, that means I must welcome times that break me.
- Revelation 14:13 – “And I heard a voice from heaven saying, ‘Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” I have the assurance that no matter what I face – even if it costs me my life – all will be okay. Thus, I can press on, trusting God all the way.
What are your theme verses?