READING: Psalms 121, 123-125, 128-130
“Our help is in the name of the Lord,the Maker of heaven and earth.”
The psalmist in psalm 124 begins with such a simple truth that I almost stumbled over it in my reading today. It really is simple: if the Lord weren’t with the Hebrews, they would have been in trouble. They would have lost battles to their enemies. The waters – perhaps the Red Sea or the Jordan River – would have swept back over them. Indeed, the Hebrews had escaped snares only because their help was in “the name of the Lord,the Maker of heaven and earth” (Psa. 124:8).
This psalm makes me consider how my life would be different if the Lord were not on my side. I cannot know for certain, but these things come to mind:
- I would be living in my sin, destined for judgment.
- I would be caught in sin, finding no victory over the struggles of my heart.
- I would have no one to hear me and help me when I cry out under the strains of life.
- I would have no church family to walk beside me, encourage me, and pray for me.
- I would not be forgiven.
- I would have no purpose in life.
- I would have no hope.
I could continue to list so many things that would be different if “the Lord had not been on [my] side” (Psa. 124:1), but I don’t have to do that. He loves me, guards me, and forgives me. He is on my side. Blessed be His name!
- Think about how your life would be different if God weren’t with you.
- Praise God for the way He cares for you.
PRAYER: “I lift my eyes to You, Lord, and focus on You. Thank You for being on my side.”
TOMORROW’S READING: Catch up and review