Author Patrick Morley, in his book, The Four Voices: Taking Control of the Conversation in Your Head, points out these things the world says will make you happy:
- FREEDOM: “I deserve the freedom to do whatever I want, whenever, wherever, and with whomever. I’m tired of all the rules.”
- FAME: “I want to be famous for something–anything. Then people will like me. Then I will be okay.”
- FORTUNE: “I want to strike it rich–that’s something worth giving my life to. Money will definitely make me happy.”
- FEEL-GOOD SPIRITUALITY: “God just wants me to be happy.”
- PERSONAL TRUTH: “There isn’t one right way or one truth. Truth is relative. What matters is that I find my truth.”
- PERFORMANCE: “My worth is determined by my performance. I need to prove to the world I’m good enough. If it’s going to be, it’s up to me.”
- PERSONAL PEACE: “That’s not my problem. I don’t want to get involved. I just want to be left alone so I can do my own thing. I paid my dues, and now it’s my turn.”
Which voice of the world is strongest in your life?
Patrick Morley, The Four Voices: Taking Control of the Conversation in Your Head (Man in the Mirror, 2022), 31-32.